Top 10 Plumbing Issues Homeowners Face & How to Prevent Them
Oklahoma City, a gem in the heartland of America, offers its residents a vibrant urban atmosphere alongside traditional Southern charm. However, whether you’re in the historic districts or modern suburbs of OKC, homeowners often share common plumbing concerns. Understanding these issues and taking preventive measures can save you time, money, and the need for a fast plumbing service call.
- Leaking Faucets
- Problem: Not only do leaky faucets increase your water bill, but they also waste precious resources.
- Prevention: Regularly check for wear and tear on your faucet’s O-rings and washers. Replace them as needed. If you’re unsure, consult with a fast plumbing service in Oklahoma City.
- Clogged Drains
- Problem: Blocked drains in the bathroom or kitchen can lead to water backup.
- Prevention: Use strainers to catch debris. Avoid dumping fats or oils down kitchen sinks, and regularly clean hair from bathroom drains.
- Running Toilets
- Problem: This can waste up to 200 gallons of water daily.
- Prevention: Check the flapper valve, float, and fill tube. Kits for DIY fixes are available, but if in doubt, call a trusted OKC plumber.
- Low Water Pressure
- Problem: Weak water flow from faucets or showers can be frustrating.
- Prevention: Regularly clean aerators to remove calcium deposits. If the problem persists, it might be linked to a deeper issue within Oklahoma’s plumbing infrastructure.
- Water Heater Issues
- Problem: Inconsistent hot water supply or no hot water at all.
- Prevention: Drain the tank annually to remove sediment. Check the thermostat and heating element for functionality.
- Jammed Garbage Disposal
- Problem: Improper use can cause jams or malfunctions.
- Prevention: Avoid placing hard items, oils, or fats. Always use cold water when running it and ensure it’s on before adding food scraps.
- Leaking Pipes
- Problem: Often occur in winter due to frozen water in pipes.
- Prevention: Insulate pipes, especially those exposed to cold air. In chilly OKC winters, let faucets drip to keep water flowing.
- Sewer System Backup
- Problem: A messy and smelly problem nobody wants.
- Prevention: Avoid flushing non-degradable items down the toilet. If tree roots are an issue in Oklahoma, consider periodic sewer line inspections.
- Water Bill Spikes
- Problem: Unexplained increases in your water bill.
- Prevention: Regularly check for hidden leaks using the meter test. Take a meter reading, avoid using water for two hours, then check again. If it has changed, you likely have a leak.
- Silent Leaks
- Problem: Leaks occurring out of sight.
- Prevention: Use food coloring in your toilet tank. If it seeps into the bowl without flushing, there’s a leak.
No homeowner wants to face plumbing issues. But with a little proactive care and knowledge, many common problems can be sidestepped. However, when in doubt, always call a professional, especially those familiar with OKC’s unique plumbing challenges. We hope you consider Amped Plumbing.
Remember, catching a problem early can be the difference between a minor fix and a costly repair in Oklahoma. Stay vigilant, and keep your plumbing running smoothly!